Well, let's be honest, who doesn't love a good risotto??
Sadly most risottos are packed with butter, cheese and rice, not the best ingredients for someone trying to balance out their hormones, or anyone trying to nourish their body for that matter haha.
So I created a slightly different take on risotto, that's MUCH better for you.... let's call it 'quinotto'!!
My version is still rich and creamy (thanks to the pumpkin!), but it's also completely vegan, refined sugar-free, gluten-free and loaded with protein and anti-inflammatory properties thanks to the turmeric.
This is the perfect dish for anyone looking for something warm and hearty but without all the animal fat and refined carbs that can cause havoc on our bodies.
Obviously, this dish still has carbs (in the form of quinoa), so if you're on a strict low carb or keto diet, this recipe isn't for you.
SO LET'S GET TO BUSINESS!!
1/2 medium-sized butternut pumpkin
Himalayan rock salt to taste
1 brown onion
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 celery stalks, diced
3 - 4 cups organic vegetable stock (depending how soft you want it, just add more)
1-2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds to serve
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1.5 cups of quinoa
1. Remove seeds from pumpkin and dice with a sharp knife. Put the diced pumpkin in a baking dish, sprinkle with olive oil, salt and black pepper, and bake for 30-35 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
2. In a skillet or pan heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Chop onion and garlic and put them into a pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until translucent and add turmeric, celery and quinoa. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the vegetable stock and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally, for around 15-20 minutes. Add the pumpkin and nutritional yeast.
5. Stir everything together for a few minutes and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds to serve or stir them through.
Comments will be approved before showing up.