After lots of requests, here it is!My newest obsession, that's right - it's my clean and nourishing vegetable soup/broth. It is sooooo easy to make, and you can pick and choose what you want to put in it depending on what you have in the fridge or what is in season!
Every ingredient I have used has healing properties, with lots of micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium/large sweet white onion, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 5 stalks of celery chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic diced
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 medium/large leek, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks; use white and pale green parts, discard dark green or leafy parts
- 2 medium or 1 large sweet potatoes unpeeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium/large lemon
- 2 to 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, added whole and removed midway through simmering (1 tablespoon ground ginger may be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon dried Reishi mushroom powder (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste; add before, during, or after simmering
- Water or all natural organic veggie stock ( fill to nearly the top of your pot, leaving about 1-inch of space)
DIRECTIONS: In a large stockpot sauté the onion, garlic and leeks in the coconut oil. Once lightly browned combine all ingredients (except the spinach) and fill the pot with water. Do not fill to the top, leave about 1 inch from the top of the pot. Depending on your taste buds the soup may be salted before, during, or after simmering.
The soup will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
You can really get creative with this soup and add different vegetables, noodles, proteins, etc… I like to add quinoa for an extra protein hit!