These pancakes are going to change your life!
Big call, I KNOW hehe, but take it from someone who gave up traditional pancakes as they had to many hormone disrupting ingredients for my liking (all that flour, sugar, butter, milk ekkk!) THESE ARE SOOOO GOOD!
These pancakes are Gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free.
I actually got the idea to create these after trying to find a baby friendly recipe for my 10mth old Flynn, and ended up eating the whole batch myself because they were sooooo good!
These fluffy drool worthy pancakes are perfect for all ages (they are the ultimate pancake recipe for babies and kids, honestly Flynn LOVES them) AND almost all diets, particularly those that are trying to keep their hormones happy!
And the best part? The star ingredient is buckwheat flour- which is in fact a seed and not a flour. The cool thing about Buckwheat is that it its actually one of the few natural sources D-chiro-Inositol (DCI), a compound that may help to combat symptoms of PCOS like insulin resistance. In fact in double-blind studies, women with PCOS who received DCI experienced increased insulin sensitivity, lowered testosterone levels, lowered blood pressure, and increased frequency of ovulation.
You can thank me later hahaha!
They also freeze really well, so you can double or triple batch and freeze the extras. That means you will also have healthy snacks ready to go!!
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (or 1 free range organic egg if not vegan)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (you can really use any plant based milk here)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon of coconut oil (or avocado oils works if you dont like the flavour of coconut oil)
Any topping you like! I love adding slices of banana, fresh blueberries, nuts, coconut syrup, granola and nut butters!
1. In a small bowl, make a flax egg using the ground flax and 2 1/2 tablespoons waterstir. Set aside for 5 minutes. (If using a normal egg skip this step).
2. In a medium bowl, add almond milk and apple cider vinegar; stir. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, add buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and stir.
4. To the bowl with the milk and vinegar mixture, add flax egg (or normal egg), mashed banana and oil. Whisk to combine.
5. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir until just combined. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
6.Us the coconut oil to grease a pan and add 1/4-cup dollops of the batter. Cook for 2-5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and golden. Repeat until all of the batter is used up.
7. Serve with your favourite toppings and ENJOY!
Makes approx. 10 pancakes.